- There are a bunch of ways of rooting the Nexus 6P. But everything is of course very risky to try. The most known way for rooting not just the Nexus 6P but the other ndroid devices is the usage of SDK tools, the flashing of SuperSU, etc. But Chainfire, awell knownmodder/developer in the field, has had this so called system-less root.
This is by far the safest but accurate and effective root because it is simply system-less. It goes through the same method but flashes different files that will not modify the system. This means, if in case you’ve done something wrong, you will not worry much because it will still boot up your phone. It just modified the boot image, not the system. It is unlike before, that when you mess up, or interrupted the process, it will corrupt your system that will cause you to brick,
To find out how this Nexus 6P root works, read the guide below.
Even though this is a safer and cleaner method, it does not mean that it is far from risk. After all, you are still modifying, so it is still better to keep these things noted before starting.
- This is for Nexus 6P build numbers MDB08M, MDB08I and MDB08L.
- Use this with a Mac.
- Make sure you run Android Marshmallow 6.0 and above.
- You should already have your bootloader unlocked. If not yet, do this.
- Recharge battery life to at least 80%.
- Back up all data because this will erase all your data.
Download nd copy SuperSU v2.66 Bet (systemless version) to your device,
Download this Android SDK package for Mac and put it on your Desktop.
To select installation, open a terminal window and type in
You can now see a selection of which to install. You can just check the Android SDK Platform-tools because that is what you only need, but you can also install everything if you want.
Get this ADB and Fastboot for Mac. Move it to your Desktop.
Install ADB and Fastboot by going back to the terminal window and input
Back to the terminal window, type in
You will be directed to the application folder. Paste in here the downloaded files on Step 6.
To start flashing the modified boot image and the custom recovery, type in the terminal:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot reboot recovery
You are done with your Mac.
Once you have booted in the recovery mode, which already changed into TWRP, allow it to be your permanent recovery.
Flash SuperSU by selecting Install button and locating where you copied it on Step 1. Confirm the flashing then Reboot system. Wait until it boots up.
Voila! You have already rooted Nexus 6P! Also, guess why root Nexus 6P that is systemless is an edge. Android Pay works with it!
To make sure if you do really have root access, download Root Checker app in Google Play Store.
Have a look at this SuperSU Root – Systemless Root Android 6.0 Marshmallow video to know more of it.